Monday, April 26, 2010

R.O.U.S. Roadkill

The other day I was walking around my neighborhood with Dori and noticed a little brown thing in a pond. It was brown, about the size of a cat, and it was swimming. I've been going through the list of swimming brown things that I know of, and all I could think of is a beaver, an otter, and a Rodent Of Unusual Size. None of which seem to really fit. But this is the area it was swimming in:






The sad part, depending on what this little creature is, is that I saw its carcass on the road yesterday. I tried to take a picture so that it could be properly identified, but it was kind of missing its head. This is how close I got:



But I imagine, that if I got closer, it would've looked like this:





So, if anyone knows what kind of animal this is, please let me know. Its bugging me.

4 comments:

  1. Let me just start by saying I have extensive training in roadkill. The best way to go about properly identifying this animal scientifically would be by studying picture number two. Okay. Got it. It's a crappy stick figure with the wrong head on it.

    You are silly Britt. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so in tune with your animals, I'm surprised you don't know. I have birds that nest outside my office window in a light pole and when I find myself watching them I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    Should have sent Mark out to identify that dead thing in the road ---- If I know you, no matter what it is, you'll start with the big crocodile tears and be a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ROUS and that is a great picture, but I must be honest and say...I have no idea. Although maybe you should have been an artist too.

    ReplyDelete